We at Kiernan Trebach LLP recognize that diversity of ideas, backgrounds, and experiences are essential to providing the best legal services to our clients. We believe that the best way to provide progressive and valuable representation on a regional and national basis is by recruiting and retaining talented individuals representing the full spectrum of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and physical ability. We are dedicated to promoting a work environment that fosters diversity and inclusion, as we believe that this gives us the strength to provide the high-quality legal services our clients seek.
The Firm’s Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion seeks to facilitate the firm’s ongoing and continuing efforts to foster a culture and atmosphere of mutual respect, and to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and business professionals from all backgrounds, perspectives, and abilities.
The Committee seeks to accomplish these tasks in the following ways:
- Consulting with the Executive Committee on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Fostering regular and clear communication within the Firm regarding issues of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Formal and informal training on issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Encouraging the dedication of personnel and resources to improve diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace, including through the Firm’s recruitment efforts;
- Ensuring that the Firm’s professional development programs, evaluation, and feedback processes, work assignment processes, and business development efforts are inclusive at all levels;
- Ensuring that attorneys and staff of varying backgrounds and perspectives are represented in leadership positions within the Firm;
- Assessing the success and need for improvement in the Firm’s efforts toward greater diversity, equity and inclusion.
The practices that the Committee will implement in an effort towards furthering these goals are:
- Offering staff and attorneys the opportunity to attend training and conversations on diversity and inclusion;
- Partnering with local law schools in each of our regional locations to offer opportunities for diverse candidates to participate as law clerks;
- Develop policies and practices to recruit, support, promote, and retain attorneys and staff with diverse experiences and attributes.
Recruitment & Retention
We are focused on attracting and recruiting a range of talented candidates to the Firm. We take the following concrete steps to ensure that diversity and inclusion is a priority:
- In all engagements with legal recruiters, we indicate our interest in bringing in diverse candidates;
- A member of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee sits on the Hiring Committee for lateral attorneys;
- We recently added a scholarship program for law clerks at Howard University School of Law;
- We will attend diversity job fairs, conduct outreach to affinity groups within law schools, and attend bar-sponsored programs;
- We have a flex-time policy, and several associates and partners at the Firm have successfully adopted flex-time schedules in a way that benefits the Firm and the individual attorney’s needs; and
- We provide maternity and paternity leave for new parents.
In this way, the Committee hopes to enhance and improve the experience of everyone who works at the Firm, and encourage and recognize their contributions and successes, in an inclusive, cohesive, and collegial environment.