Kiernan Trebach recognizes that diversity of ideas, backgrounds, and experiences is essential to providing the best legal services to our clients. We believe that the most effective representation requires recruiting and retaining talented individuals representing the full spectrum of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and physical ability. We are committed to promoting a work environment that fosters diversity and inclusion because this diversity of perspective and experience enhances the quality of our legal services.
Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We take our focus on diversity seriously at Kiernan Trebach, which is why we dedicate our time and resources to our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (“DEI”) Committee. The Firm’s DEI Committee facilitates ongoing efforts to foster a culture of mutual respect and serves to attract, retain, and promote outstanding lawyers and business professionals from all backgrounds, perspectives, and abilities.
The DEI committee of attorneys and staff members strives to further develop recruitment and retention of diverse professionals, as well as to implement internal structures and practices to support all employees. The Committee seeks to accomplish these tasks in the following ways:
- Consulting with the Executive Committee on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Fostering regular and clear communication within the Firm regarding issues of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Training on issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Encouraging the dedication of personnel and resources to improve diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace, including through the Firm’s recruitment efforts;
- Ensuring that the Firm’s professional development programs, evaluation, and feedback processes, work assignment processes, and business development efforts are inclusive at all levels;
- Ensuring that attorneys and staff of varying backgrounds and perspectives are represented in leadership positions within the Firm;
- Assessing the success and need for improvement in the Firm’s efforts toward greater diversity, equity and inclusion; and
- Offering staff and attorneys the opportunity to attend training and conversations on diversity and inclusion.
Law School Outreach
Kiernan Trebach also has developed local community outreach programs to facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Kiernan Trebach has partnered with HBCUs in each of its regional areas to provide scholarships to local law students and to offer opportunities for students to work as law clerks with the firm.
Kiernan Trebach also has developed local community outreach programs to facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion. In partnership with the Howard University Law School in Washington, D.C., Kiernan Trebach offers the Kiernan Trebach – Howard University Diversity Scholarship. The recipient will work as a law clerk for a year and then receive a $10,000 scholarship at the end of the clerkship.
Kiernan Trebach has established the Scholarship to help women and men of color gain valuable law firm experience and enhance their opportunities for success in their legal careers. The Scholarship and the clerkship will help defray the cost of Law School attendance for each student. The Firm believes that an opportunity for a successful legal career should be available to all and is committed, through this Scholarship, to contributing to breaking down barriers to that goal.
If you are interested in applying for the scholarship please contact Felicity McGrath FMcGrath@KiernanTrebach.com and Dawn Singleton DSingleton@KiernanTrebach.com.