Kiernan Trebach prides itself on our ongoing efforts at sustainability. Like many of our clients, we are adopting policies that reduce consumption and waste, and improve efficiency. We are a “paperless” practice – eliminating the need for most printing, mailing, storage, and delivery services – resulting in significant cost savings to our clients as well as a “greener” footprint.
Kiernan Trebach’s firm headquarters at the Lion Building in Washington, D.C. is LEED certified, recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council as a certified “green” building.
Today, the firm has an official Green Policy that includes waste management, energy conservation and procurement initiatives that have resulted in the following:
Our Efforts to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
One of our primary goals is to continually reduce consumption and waste and to promote recycling within our offices. We utilize energy-sensitive design and planning to maximize use of natural light. We also use energy-efficient lighting, sustainable ceiling and carpet products, low-flow faucets and toilets, low-water landscaping and motion sensors to further reduce water and energy use.
Other initiatives that have contributed to significant reductions in energy consumption include:
- Significantly reducing electricity consumption by moving to virtualized onsite server infrastructure
- Purchasing energy efficient appliances, computers, printers and copiers
- Replacing all light fixtures with T-8 bulbs and installing motion sensors to further reduce energy use
- Using extremely low voltage LED lighting in all new construction and remodeling projects
- Replacing bottled water with pitchers of water for all internal and client meetings, and banning plastic straws
- Using compostable plates and utensils in all offices
Promoting Public and Alternative Transportation
- Premier parking spaces in our garage are reserved for hybrid and carpool vehicles, all located in prime, highly-visible spots to help spread the conservation message
- Charging stations for electric vehicles
- Flex spending reimbursement to attorneys and staff who commute by public transportation to any of our offices
- Secure bike parking and onsite showers to encourage biking to work.